About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Amanda Crow. I am a mother of four amazing children: three who are here with me on earth, and one who is awaiting our reunion in heaven. I am a homeschooling mom who embraces the life God has given me.

Monday, May 24, 2010

The Grass

Cemeteries seem to have a life cycle of their own. This is something that I never realized until a cemetery became a part of our life. Within the last 14 months, I have noticed how the cemetery changes with the seasons and with each new burial.

It's very obvious when someone new has been buried. There is a large rectangle of dirt and usually fresh flowers placed on top. Within a week or two, the flowers disappear, and a temporary grave marker shows up in their place. The dirt starts to settle, and eventually sod and a headstone will be placed on the rectangular patch of dirt. Even though the sod is added, it is still very obvious that the site is still new. The rectangle is still visible, reminding you that your loved one is below. The sod is either very green and lush, or it is dried out due to a lack of rain. For the first year, you can still see that rectangle.

During the winter months, Macie's sod stayed green while the grass around it went dormant. It was still obvious where her grave was dug. Well this week, I went to the cemetery to see the landscape stones and the flowers that my mother had planted. What I saw took me by surprise. It wasn't the beautiful arrangement in front of the headstone that shocked me; it was the grass. The sod has now been established, and the native species have moved in and mixed with the new grass. The result is a plot of grass that is indistinguishable from the surrounding area. Her rectangle was gone. I realized how long she has been gone. There isn't a trace of the ground ever being disturbed. Macie's site has become a part of the landscape. The ground has healed from it's scars, but our hearts haven't.

1 comment:

  1. claudine@orphanscry.comMay 24, 2010 at 7:04 PM

    ...and this side of Heaven, I'm not sure "your rectangle" will ever disappear. BUT, God will continue to carry you and bind up your broken hearts...over...and...over...again until that Day when you're all FINALLY reunited with Macie where "all things are made new." Thank You Jesus! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for this promise that carries us, gives us hope, and even gives us joy in the midst of the worst sorrow.

    Not a day goes by that I don't think of you guys, check your blogs for just a little word that you're ok and still hanging on to Jesus.

    There won't ever be a time when I don't feel a deep ache in my belly when I see pictures of Macie and each of you as you live life without her beauty and spunk.

    You have a beautiful family...really beautiful. Right now it has a terrible hole in it and I know only God can bring wholeness and healing so you can face each day, and He will continue to do so.

    Please know you're continually in my prayers. Wish I lived around the bend to give you a hug, cry with you, and watch our kids together.

    Praying God's abundant grace over each one of you to rise up as more than conquerors. May no weapon formed against you prosper and may you refute every accusing tongue that rises against you...for we overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony.

    Love in Jesus,

    Claudine

    ReplyDelete

Followers